This is an update on some work from a previous post. My xattr patches sat on the yocto mailing list waiting for meta-selinux maintainers to review them for about a month. I got a bit testy and even commented to another contributor off list about the possible need to fork given the lack of response from maintainers. Turns out that this contributor was using his gmail account but actually works for the same company as the maintainer. So about 24 hours later the maintainers magically reappeared and merged my patches!
I really have no interest in forking and maintaining meta-selinux so this was a win. Hopefully I didn’t look like too much of a jerk in the process … ¯_(ツ)_/¯ After a quick stint in a feature branch my xattr code was merged into meta-selinux master. This is only a step in the process though. These patches really belong in the openembedded-core repository. They can likely be moved with minimal effort on the technical side. Getting traction for these sorts of fringe features upstream however takes a bunch of time though, as demonstrated by the 2 months it took to get this into meta-selinux.
As a strategy I should probably prove out an additional use case beyond SELinux file labels. I did some work on meta-measured a while back to add basic IMA support. I really want to expand this to support IMA appraisal. I’m not a huge fan of local enforcement policies but this use case is a great example of build-time xattr usage that would demonstrate the utility of my xattr patches. This is all food for thought though at this point.